SWEet Wisdom for SWENexters for October 2016
With conference just around the corner, one of our fabulous contributors has offered up a few tips on how to get the most out of a networking opportunity.
SWEet Wisdom for SWENexters October 2016 Edition
With conference just around the corner, one of our fabulous contributors has offered up a few tips for SWENexters on how to get the most out of a networking opportunity.
Gitanjali Gunnam, SWE Professional Member
Given the interesting times we live in, whether you are a young school girl or a senior professional, networking is crucial and should be of top priority. When you are networking, you are building your career safety net. You never know when and how your network comes handy. Whether you are an introvert or extrovert, you should always find ways to network. Always remember that everyone’s goal is the same, to build mutually beneficial relationships. Below are a few tips for networking:
- Open your conversation with an effective introduction, keep it short.
- Body language is important. Eye contact is a must.
- Pay attention to the name of the person.Try to refer them by their name during the conversation.
- Go with a goal. Be prepared with 4-5 questions that you are interested in getting an answer for.
- After the conversation, spend a minute or two jotting down notes on their business card. Later, this will help you connect the name to the conversation.
- It’s not the quantity of people you talk to but the quality that matters.
- Find their preferred way of communication. If you are interested in staying touch with them, send some correspondence right away.