SWE K-12 Outreach SWE Counts Newsletter – August 2017
We are excited to be able to highlight the amazing work done by our SWE member volunteers in K-12 Outreach through the data that we analyze each month.
Welcome to our first Assessment Workgroup Newsletter. We are excited to be able to highlight the amazing work done by our SWE member volunteers in K-12 Outreach through the data that we analyze each month. Thank you to all who worked with SWENexters, parents, educators, numerous kids, and who reported outreach events for FY17. We are absolutely looking forward to hearing about what you will be doing for FY18.
A little bit about us – the Assessment Workgroup is the first to see the new OMT survey entries and the SWENext data for data cleaning and analysis purposes to see how our SWE members are impacting the next generation of engineers. We would like to introduce a few of our members this month.
- Our Workgroup lead is Susan Mengel who is also the FY18 Outreach Chair Elect and who works as a faculty member in the Computer Science Department at Texas Tech University in the Edward E. Whitacre Jr. College of Engineering.
- Margarita Chi-Miranda has worked on the Assessment Workgroup for over a year helping to clean and work with the OMT data. She is taking over the social media part of our monthly reporting and will continue to review the OMT survey entries each month. She works for Jensen Hughes as a civil engineer and is from Colombia.
- Brittney Cummins recently joined the Assessment Workgroup and is beginning to work with the SWENext monthly report. She works for Burns & McDonnell as a mechanical engineer.
- Emily Fritsch recently joined the Assessment Workgroup and is also working with the SWENext monthly report. She works for WestRock as a rotational engineer.
- Our SWE Outreach Coordinator, who works with our workgroup and several others on the SWE Outreach Committee, is Darcy Andersen who delivers the data to us and does some of the analysis as well.
For this newsletter, we would like to share some of the FY17 numbers we obtained during our analysis through the hard work of the SWE Outreach Committee and the many SWE volunteers all working hard to inspire the next generation of engineers. Here you’ll find highlights about our programs and the data we collect to measure our efforts.
The Outreach Committee publishes the SWENextEd monthly e-newsletter as part of our efforts to increase exposure of and participation in SWE’s K-12 Educator membership and related programs. At the end of FY17 we had 288 SWENextEd subscribers. We also publish SWENext monthly e-newsletters that all our K-8 and 9-12 grade SWENext members receive.
There are 59 registered SWENext Clubs worldwide through the end of FY17. The Outreach Committee is developing tools and resources to support our growing SWENext Clubs program. This includes an on-going SWENext Club Challenge that will bring a club to WE17.
At the end of FY17, there were 2,894 current SWENext student members and 2,181 SWENext adult members, which brings our all-time total to 7,778 SWENext past and present members. We also have 245 SWE K-12 Educator members. We will be featuring a SWENexter in our next Constance & Nano Comic and recognizing our amazing students at WE17 through the SWENext Awards program.
This past fiscal year, members reported 1152 outreach events using the Outreach Metric Tool, exceeding the FY17 goal of 1065 events. This brings our all-time
total up to 2609 outreach events reported by SWE members.
During FY17 members reached 78,240 girls, bringing the all-time total up to 189,759 girls impacted by SWE members at outreach events.
During FY17 there were 94 outreach events led by SWE members included a Parent & Educator Program, bringing the all-time total up to 236 outreach events led by SWE members included a Parent & Educator Program.
To find out more about the data analyzed by the Assessment Workgroup of the Outreach Committee, please see our monthly Assessment Report. Please also check out our latest Outreach Infographic. If you have any questions, please contact Susan Mengel or Darcy Andersen, SWE Outreach Coordinator, at email@example.com.