It’s time for the SWENext Club Challenge!
The SWENext Club Challenge is a competition that promotes teamwork, innovation, and ingenuity in our younger members! The theme of WE18 is “Let’s Break Boundaries”. With this in mind, SWE is challenging SWENext clubs to celebrate women engineers who have broken boundaries and break a few of their own.
The winning SWENext club will receive the following:
- All-expenses paid trip to WE18 in Minneapolis, MN in October 2018 for four club members and one adult SWE advisor/chaperone.
- A SWENext Club workshop for WE18 conference attendees.
- Booth space to showcase their winning demonstration and poster at the Invent it. Build it. EXPO.
- A 3D printed trophy and certificate of achievement.
- A $500 stipend for future club projects.
- World-wide recognition for the club’s accomplishments on the SWENext Website.
- SWE Commemorative Shirts: “Watch Me Change the World” and other goodies for the whole club.
Are you ready to take on the challenge?
The 2018 SWENext Club Challenge has three steps:
- Choose an engineering discipline: Chemical, Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical.
- Design a poster that shows how a woman engineer broke boundaries in that discipline. This could be a contemporary engineer working today or a historical figure. You’ll submit a digital copy of the poster (PPT or PDF), and if your club is chosen, SWE will print it for you to display in your EXPO booth.
- Create a short demonstration that incorporates that engineering discipline and is engaging for middle school students. This demo needs to be exciting, hands-on, and have clear learning objectives (You want participants to walk away having learned something new about that engineering discipline). It must be the same engineering discipline as the woman engineer you choose to feature but does not have to be something that she specifically did. You’ll submit a video at most five minutes long that gives a brief overview of your club, information on the woman engineer you chose to feature in your poster and shows your club members giving the engineering demo along with explaining what the middle school students will learn from it. If your club is chosen, you’ll perform that demo live in your EXPO booth.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE SWENEXT CLUB CHALLENGE WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL TUESDAY, JULY 31ST AT MIDNIGHT CST.