With FY12 activities under way, it is time to identify and nominate potential candidates for FY13 Society officers, board of directors, senate leadership and board of trustees.
Per Article IV, Section 6, of the Society's bylaws, the nominating committee is charged with the responsibility for selecting at least one qualified candidate for each of the following positions for FY13:
- President Elect
- Director (2 positions)
- Director of Regions
- Deputy Director of Regions
Under Society bylaws, candidates for these elected positions must be a voting member of the Society in good standing and must have served at least two years in the aggregate as a professional member of the senate, Society committee chair, region governor, professional section or members-at-large president, or professional section or members at large representative, except that one year as a collegiate senator or collegiate representative may be counted. Proviso: For the purpose of fulfilling eligibility requirements, service as an international representative for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2009, shall count toward these requirements (expires 2019).Â A candidate for president elect must be either a senior member or a fellow, and must have served at least two years on the board of directors. A candidate for director of regions or deputy director of regions must have served as a region governor (or region director prior to 2004).
There are four key characteristics of SWE leadership that each future leader should possess to some degree: People Skills, Knowledge of the Organization, Strategic Thinking and Results Generation. Click here to review these key leadership characteristics, which provides additional information on requirements and duties for each position. Please review the skills, leadership characteristics, interests and SWE experience of members you are familiar with, and use this form to recommend appropriate candidates.
The nominating committee is also calling for candidates for additional FY13 positions:
- Trustee (2 positions)
- Deputy Speaker of the Senate
- Senate Secretary
At the request of the board of trustees, the nominating committee has been asked to recommend two candidates for trustee. There are six members on the board of trustees who serve staggered three-year terms; two new trustees must be elected for FY13. A key factor for a candidate for trustee is expertise in handling all types of financial investments. While not necessary, it is beneficial for the candidate to be familiar with Society operations.
Trustees maintain fiduciary responsibility for SWE's endowed and reserve funds by prudently selecting and overseeing investment managers, in light of economic and financial conditions in the world economies and in SWE. Â
Candidates for Trustee should have a thorough understanding of global economies and markets and should be comfortable with a broad range of investment vehicles. Candidates should also have strong strategic thinking and communications skills.
At the request of the speaker of the senate, the nominating committee has been asked to issue this call for candidates for deputy speaker of the senate and senate secretary. A candidate for deputy speaker of the senate or senate secretary must be a voting member of the Society, and have served a minimum of two years in the aggregate on the board of directors, as a professional member of the senate, Society or senate committee chair, region governor, professional section or members at large president, or professional section or members at large representative, except that one year as a collegiate senator or collegiate representative may be counted toward this requirement.Â Proviso: For the purpose of fulfilling these eligibility requirements, service as an international representative for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2009, shall count toward the requirementÂ (expires 2019).Â The senate nominating committee will evaluate deputy speaker of the senate and senate secretary candidates.
The nominating committee is responsible for insuring that qualified candidates are placed on the ballot; however, identifying SWE's future leaders is everyone's responsibility. Our Society has many competent members who are interested in leading us forward.Â It is the responsibility of all of us to see that they are considered for the Society's elected offices.
The deadline for submitting recommendations is October 21, 2011.
- Please complete a nomination form for each recommended candidate for the Society's offices and trustees for FY13.
- Provide the candidate's name, address, phone and email.
- Include all positions the candidate is being nominated for on the same form.
- Provide some brief background information explaining why the person is appropriate for the office, for example, SWE experience, leadership characteristics, financial planning experience, etc.
- Obtain a candidate consent and eligibility form from each recommended candidate.Â This must be submitted along with their nomination form. The nominating committee chair must receive this confirmation of consent and eligibility before the candidate will be considered.
- Use additional nomination forms as necessary to nominate additional candidates.
- Please send the nomination package (nomination form and candidate consent and eligibility form) to the nominating committee chair.
- This call for candidate recommendations is NOT used for region positions.Â It is each region's responsibility to select candidates for region governor and nominating committee representatives in accordance with region bylaws.
- Questions about eligibility, duties of office, or the process the nominating committee follows can be directed to the nominating committee chair or your region committee representative.
- The information supplied by the candidates, and the feedback on the candidates supplied by other SWE members during the nomination process, is regarded as highly confidential information. It is not shared outside the committee, and it is not saved from year to year. In order to preserve the confidentiality and integrity of our process, questions, concerns, or feedback about individual candidates that arise outside of the formal feedback process must be directed to the nominating committee chair. Please respect that members of the nominating committee are duty-bound not to discuss information related to individual candidates!
Nominating Committee Chair: Faith Kay
- Elizabeth Guiliani, Golden West Region (A)
- Betty Irish, Sonora Region (B)
- Stacey Culver, Gulf Coast Region (C)
- Cassie Bayer, Southeast Region (D)
- Michelle Tortolani, Mid-Atlantic Region (E)
- Bernice Brody, New England Region (F)
- Pam Snyder, Ohio Valley Region (G)
- April Privett, Heartland Region (H)
- Jill Tietjen, Square Root (-1) Region (i)
- Suzanne Hakam, Northwest Star Region (J)
The Nominating Committee encourages all SWE members to consider service at the highest levels. Please feel free to contact any of the Nominating Committee members to discuss requirements for service, the process of application, and your plans for service over the short and long term.