Participate in the Workshop "Academic Leadership for Women in Engineering"
Academic Leadership for Women in Engineering Workshop
October 14 & 15, 2011, WE11 Conference, Chicago, IL
The Academic Leadership in Engineering Workshop will be hosted at the WE11 Annual Conference in Chicago, October 14 and 15. SWE seeks to broaden their current professional development opportunities for women in academia. By hosting this day-and-a-half workshop, SWE continues to expand its programming for those pursuing leadership roles in academia.
Our goal is to have 50 women faculty members attend this workshop and participate in a curriculum that includes a focus on:
- Effective leadership
- Organizational change and behavior
- Negotiation skills
Through this workshop we hope to strengthen the community of practice that helps support and guide women leaders in academia.
The workshop is designed for women faculty who currently hold leadership positions or are seeking leadership positions in academic departments and divisions within the next five to seven years. Additional criteria for participants:
- Is tenure track or tenured
- May have some experience in or familiarity with personnel and budget matters
- Interested in attaining a leadership position
- Recognizes the importance of strategic risk-taking for career advancement
- Realistically and continually assesses her leadership opportunities
- Can expect advancement opportunities, either formal or informal, within her institution
Space is limited to 50 attendees, so we can only accommodate up to three women from a given university.
Click here to apply to attend the workshop. Please complete the participant application by September 16.
Travel and lodging expenses will be covered up to $750. All accepted applicants will be notified and receive further details regarding travel logistics and the curriculum by September 23.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the workshop.