Each month SWE's Outreach Committee is committed to sending you "news you can use" for your Outreach program. Your programs make a difference in the lives of girls and boys. Thank you for advocating for the next generation of women engineers!
In this issue:
- SWE Outreach Goals - Update!
- How to invite SWENexters in our area to your Outreach event
- WE15 - Outreach sessions you can attend
- Program Development Grant - Money available for your Outreach event
SWE Outreach Goals - Update!
The SWE Board of Directors has two Outreach goals on their scorecard this fiscal year. We'd appreciate your help in achieving these goals:
- SWENext Goal: 2500 girls signed up - currently at 1514 girls (60% of goal)
- Please continue distributing the SWENext flyer at your Outreach events. You can learn more about SWENext at swenext.swe.org.
- Outreach Metric Tool Goal: 750 entries - currently at 35 entries (5% of goal)
Have you run an Outreach event already this fiscal year? Have you entered the event into the Outreach Metric Tool?
Report your Outreach at this link: www.surveymonkey.com/s/omtool. It's quick and easy to do. Thanks!
Inviting SWENexters to your next Outreach event
Would you like to invite the SWENexters from your area to your Outreach event? SWENext is a way for students 18 and younger to be a part of SWE. It is a free, online club. Benefits include a monthly activity emailed to members, a newsletter, and an advice column, with more things coming soon. Learn more at swenext.swe.org.
Since the students in SWENext are minors, we cannot release their names/contact information to you so that you can invite them directly to your event. However, if you would like to invite SWENexters to Outreach events you are having, here's how to do it:
- Send your event flyer to Randy.Freedman@swe.org. (Randy is our Outreach Program Manager at SWE HQ.
- In the email message, include the zip code of the event location, along with the grades you are targeting. For example, "The event will be held in zip code 15213. This event is for girls in 4th through 6th grade."
- Allow at least two weeks for turnaround before the invitations are sent to the SWENexters in your area.
WE15 Outreach Sessions
Are you going to the annual SWE conference in Nashville? If so, check out the Outreach sessions available. There are over 20 sessions offered on Thursday and Friday of conference.
- Learn how to construct an event feedback survey at "Outreach Assessment Made Easy" on Thursday at 4:00 p.m.
- Learn how to be a better role model at "Role Models Matter Workshop". (Those volunteering at Invent It. Build It. are highly encouraged to attend this workshop, which is offered three different times to fit into your busy conference schedule.)
- If you have kids or plan to, learn what it was like growing up in a STEM household at "1 Chemist + 1 Chemical Engineer = 2 Mechanical Engineers: Growing Up in a STEM Household" on Friday at 2:45 p.m.
- Get ideas for outreach programs for your section at "K-12 STEM Outreach - Information and Ideas You Can Implement" on Friday at 4:00 p.m.
Check out all of the Outreach sessions at WE15, here.
4. Program Development Grants
Need money to run your Outreach event? The Program Development Grant (PDG) Committee has a goal of awarding $185,000 for Outreach and Professional Development events this fiscal year. Last year, the PDG Committee funded 56 Outreach events totaling over $100,000.
The application, eligibility criteria, and other documents for funding requests can be found, here: http://societyofwomenengineers.swe.org/page/4187-program-development-grants.
If you ever have any questions about Outreach, please contact us at email@example.com.
Thanks, again, for the Outreach you do.
See you next month,
Mary T. Zeis
SWE Outreach Committee - Chair-Elect