Start Warming Up Your Voice
Sing It to Begin It, SWE’s live karaoke competition, is back by popular demand to kick off WE16 in Philadelphia. We’ll start the world’s largest conference and career fair for women in engineering and technology literally on a high note … and throw in some ice cream, too! Showtime is Wednesday, October 26 at 8:00 p.m.
But first we need the talent, and that talent could be you. If you love to belt one out in the shower, you’ll love singing on stage with a live karaoke band to an audience full of your SWE friends. Don’t take our word for it. Last year’s Sing It to Begin It Champion Kelley Gerschke can tell you how much fun she had on stage.
Your band for the night is Rock Star Karaoke NYC, one of New York City’s top karaoke bands. They’ll drop the perfect soundtrack for your big debut.
September 7: Application forms are due.
September 20: Contestants are announced.
September 27: Contestants must be registered for WE16
October 26: Sing It to Begin It kick-off event at WE16
The Competition Will Be Friendly But You Have to Audition
Do you have what it takes to be the WE16 Sing It to Begin It Champion? Here’s how it works:
- Application forms and an audition video or audio must be submitted by September 7.
- You may submit your audition here.
- Auditions may be submitted with a link to an online video site (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) OR files may be emailed to email@example.com via Dropbox or other file sharing service.
- Auditions DO NOT need to be professionally recorded—use your smartphone, a handheld video recorder, webcam, or whatever you like!
- Feel free to record your submission acapella or with a recorded track, guitar, keyboard or full band—whatever you are most comfortable with. You may submit any song you like for your audition, BUT you must choose two songs from the supplied list to perform in Philadelphia, should you be chosen as one of the four finalists.
- NOTE: this contest is for individual performers; duets or groups will not be accepted.
- A total of four (4) contestants will be selected by WE16 Conference Advisory Board members or HQ executive leadership.
- Contestants will be selected and notified by September 15.
- All contestants must be registered for WE16 by September 27.
- Each contestant will sing a first song in round one.
- Event sponsors will judge the four contestants and select two finalists who will sing a second song to claim the title of Sing It to Begin It!
- Event attendees will vote for the Sing It to Begin It!
We know we have a lot of awesome talented women engineers out there—let’s see what kind of talent we can bring to the stage! Submit your audition today and good luck.
Participation requires paid registration. Accepted contestants are responsible for their own travel and accommodations.