Hello outreach advocates, and happy FY18! My name is Kate Nolan, and I am chairing SWE’s Outreach Committee this year. I’m excited to continue our News You Can Use series, to share timely outreach information with you.
In this issue:
1. Share Your Outreach Events With SWE – And Win Money for Outreach
2. Outreach Committee Goals for FY18 – How You Can Help
3. Volunteer at Invent It. Build It.
4. SWE Outreach Incubator – Get Your Outreach Questions Answered!
4. Outreach Contact Information
- Share Your Outreach Events in the Outreach Metric Tool
The Outreach Committee wants to know about any outreach events where SWE members participate, including:- Special K-12 outreach events planned, executed, and led by SWE member organizations OR led by a partner organization (e.g. another engineering society, industrial firm, etc.) where a SWE collegiate or professional section or affiliate, or MAL formally participated
- Individual K-12 outreach efforts of SWE members
Examples of events to enter include: one- and half-day workshops, competitions, weekend engineering expos, mentoring K-12 students, engineering summer camps, individual meetings or formal talks given to students, parents, and/or educators by SWE members.
Report your event here. Each month, we randomly draw 1 winning section to receive $100 for future outreach events!
- Outreach Committee Goals for FY18 – And How You Can Help!This year, we are excited to focus on growing participation and engagement in SWENext, SWENext Clubs, and K-12 educator membership, while also growing SWE’s impact on girls, parents, and educators.
- Increase exposure of and participation in SWE’s K-12 educator membership and related programs.
- Develop tools and resources to support SWENext Clubs.
- Increase number of current SWENexters to 5,000.
- Increase number of girls impacted by SWE members at all outreach events to 85,000.
- Increase number of Parent & Educator Programs run by SWE to 120.
So, how can you help us achieve these goals? Here are some ways to help:
- Build a connection with or advise a SWENext club in your community
- Promote your outreach events to SWENexters
- Share SWENext and K-12 Educator Membership flyers at your outreach events
- Host a Parent & Educator Program (stay tuned for the release of the Parent & Educator Program Toolkit!)
- Report your outreach efforts in the Outreach Metric Tool
- Volunteer at Invent It. Build It.
Invent It. Build It. is SWE’s signature outreach event, which brings over 1,000 middle school & high school girls, parents, and educators to the SWE conference venue for a unique all-day outreach event with hands-on activities, speakers, access to STEM- and girl-focused organizations, and more!If you’re attending WE17 in Austin, don’t forget to check “Opt in to Invent It. Build It.” on your registration, to receive more information about volunteering and a link to sign up for shifts. We need over 500 SWE volunteers to make the day a success! Volunteers will receive a discount on next year’s conference registration (WE18).
- SWE Outreach Incubator – Get Your Outreach Questions Answered!
Did you know that SWE has a Facebook group dedicated to outreach? Join the Outreach Incubator to ask questions of other members who are passionate about outreach, share outreach-related articles, best practices, and more!
- Outreach Contact Information
If you have questions about SWE outreach programs that are not answered on the SWE website, contact email@example.com (directs to the Outreach Committee Chair) or firstname.lastname@example.org (directs to SWE HQ).
Thank you for your outreach efforts!
FY18 Outreach Committee Chair