On March 14-15, 2018 the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) will host our annual Congressional Outreach Day on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. This year’s theme is Diversity and Inclusion Fuels Innovation in STEM.
The event is open to all SWE members and members of other STEM organizations. Participants will:
- Hear from leading subject matter experts from federal agencies
- Receive briefings on relevant legislative affairs
- Increase elected officials’ awareness of the importance of diversity and inclusion in the STEM workforce
SWE’s 2018 Congressional Outreach Day will begin promptly at 1:00 PM on Wednesday, March 14, 2018 (with an optional lunch at noon), and will conclude by 4:00 PM on Thursday, March 15, 2018. All formal activities during this event will be held on Capitol Hill and at the Washington Court Hotel, conveniently located next to the Capitol. (Upon registration, participants will be sent information to reserve a room at the Washington Court Hotel.)
During the two-day event, SWE members will have the chance to participate in pre-visit trainings, network, enjoy a reception with elected officials, and meet with representatives or congressional staff.
Wednesday, March 14, 2018
- Congressional Visit Training, Washington Court Hotel, 1:00-4:30 PM (lunch at Noon)
- Congressional Reception, Rayburn House Office Building, 5:00-7:00 PM
Thursday, March 15, 2018
- Congressional Breakfast and Visit Prep, Rayburn House Office Building, 8:30-10:00 AM
- Congressional Visits, beginning at 10:00 AM and scheduled throughout the day
Highlights of the pre-visit training include:
- Panel including representatives from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) to discuss the importance of funding for STEM research and education for their agencies and the future United States workforce.
- Update on the current administration’s actions regarding science and technology will be offered by advocates from the STEM Education Coalition.
- Literature review on the current State of Women in Engineering.
- A presentation on the culture on Capitol Hill, communication with congress both online and in person, how policy is made and how and when SWE members can influence outcomes.
Space is limited and will be on a first come first served basis. While there are no specific volunteer travel funds available for this event, some meals will be provided for attendees. Registration closes on February 16, 2018.For more information about SWE’s public policy priorities, please visit the advocacy section of SWE’s All Together blog or our Legislative Action Center. You can stay informed about SWE Advocacy through text alerts. Text SWE Public Policy to 56512 to sign-up.
We hope to see you on March 14-15, 2018, so register today!