Meeting the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development – with its 17 Goals to wipe out poverty, fight inequality, and tackle climate change – will require novel solutions, multidisciplinary engagement, and bold leadership. Fortunately, the engineering profession is widely recognized as enabling human development through technological innovation, and engineers are increasingly turning their focus to social innovation.
Supporting this growing movement is what Engineering for Change (E4C) was built to do. E4C was conceived by ASME, IEEE and Engineers Without Borders-USA and supported early on by the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) to convene and mobilize the engineers, designers, makers, academics, and entrepreneurs striving for positive social impact. Our resources, talent and platforms serve to accelerate the development of impactful solutions for the most pressing problems facing humankind. From lack of clean water and sanitation, to the growing need for sustainable and affordable energy, to innovative ideas for agriculture and healthcare. Our platform prepares and activates social innovation agents to develop and implement solutions within their communities, providing resources that include:
- A diverse, multidisciplinary and international roster of more than 100 contributing editors to share cross sector insights and critical perspectives in tech for development and implantation.
- Accessible training, including a webinar series, as well as capacity building virtual salons and on-demand courses that qualify for professional development hours.
- Over 600 researched and published technology-based solutions within our codified Solutions Library, and access to research reports informing innovation an implementation with an engineering point of view to drive accountability, ensure quality, public health and safety.
- An opportunity portal which mobilizes talented candidates and features curated jobs and fellowships.
- Virtual volunteerism via our beta platform enabling members to share projects and solicit advice and expertise.
- Curated events listings and exclusive invitations to our events and those of partnering organizations
Since our launch in 2010 we have grown to a diverse, global community of over 1 million people around the world and we invite SWE members to join us (sign up for free, here). If you’re interested in meeting us in person, we invite you to our upcoming event in New York City—Impact.Engineered—which will bring together our network of pragmatic optimists to connect, share insights and celebrate those who are dedicated to ensuring a sustainable future for us all. For more information and to RSVP, visit www.impact-engineered.org. All SWE members are eligible for a discount with the code FRIENDS. We hope to see you there!