About #GivingTuesday: On #GivingTuesday (11/27) login to your SWE Member Account and click “Donate to SWE” or follow this link here to make your #GivingTuesday gift to SWE.
About SWE’s Public Policy Programming
The advocacy of engineers around diversity and inclusion in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) workforce is critical. Within the United States, many find engaging with elected officials intimidating, yet these individuals are public employees that are responsible to the people of this country.
Over the past year, SWE and SWE members have worked hard to advocate for critical funding in education and research for areas critical to women in STEM. Some of our accomplishments can be highlighted in the chart below:
In the spring of each year, SWE convenes its members and partners for our annual Congressional Outreach Day on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC around the theme of Diversity and Inclusion Fuels Innovation in STEM. This event is free for SWE members to attend and we provide training and guidance to engage with elected officials. Each year, participants:
- Hear from leading subject matter experts from federal agencies
- Receive briefings on relevant legislative affairs
- Increase elected officials’ awareness of the importance of diversity and inclusion in the STEM workforce
- Highlight SWE’s positioning on key issues that impact women in the engineering workforce and STEM education.
SWE is a non-partisan organization with individual members who are from both major political parties. We are organizing around the bi-partisan desire to grow the United States economy and support a strong and educated workforce. To be globally competitive, the U.S. must attract a diverse and inclusive STEM workforce to address talent shortages in these sectors and foster innovation.
SWE Public Policy Highlights On All Together:
- Positive Signs for STEM Education in Federal FY19 Budget
- Engineering: From Ignorance to Passion – A Reflection on Advocating with SWE
- “Why I almost quit STEM” — A Reflection on SWE’s 2018 Congressional Outreach Days
- 9 Questions and Answers About Title IX All Engineers Should Know
- Photo Essay: SWE’s 2018 Congressional Outreach Days