The American Osteopathic Association lists these benefits of yoga:
- Increased flexibility
- Increased muscle strength and tone
- Improved respiration, energy and vitality
- Maintaining a balanced metabolism
- Weight reduction
- Cardio and circulatory health
- Improved athletic performance
- Protection from injury
The Society of Women Engineers offers a SWE yoga mat and carrying case that makes a perfect holiday gift for our health-conscious members. Go to sweSwag.swe.org for more gift-giving ideas. Check out photos from our Yoga Sessions at WE18, SWE's Annual Conference.
Office Yoga: Add Wellness to Your Workday
SWE also has an on-demand webinar about Office Yoga, so that you can add wellness to your workday. Taking a break to move and stretch helps to clear your mind and leaves you feeling ready to tackle the second half of your work day. Learn how to incorporate yoga throughout your work day as well as learning a short practice you can do in 20 min during a lunch break, in your work clothes.
By the end of webinar, you will be able to:
- Describe and move through a short yoga practice in business casual clothing
- Identify ways to incorporate yoga stretches throughout the workday
- Discuss how a regular yoga practice can enhance your health
SWE's Office Yoga on-demand webinar is led by Tina Whiteside, a certified yoga instructor, yoga life coach, and masters swimming coach. Whiteside works with adults to create a balanced life. She lives in San Jose, CA with her husband and is a member of the SWE Santa Clara Valley Section. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of North Dakota where she was an active SWE member. During her career, she has been involved in many aspects of the aerospace industry. Her experience includes positions with Alaska Airlines and Boeing.