HackerEarth’s annual International Women’s Hackathon is back with its 5th edition - the IWH 2019.
This edition of the International Women's Hackathon focuses on being an all-women hackathon and a platform for women to showcase their true talents and build ideas in major sectors such as financial technology, augmented reality, virtual reality, and blockchain. The idea phase is open now thru April 15, 2019. Learn more and register here.
Themes for IWH 2019
- Voice Apps
- With the onset of speech recognition and the increasing trend of intelligent voice-enabled apps, the world as we know is changing. Voice apps are now not just used for creating personalized responses and individualized experiences but are also important for convenience, assistance, and security.
- Financial Services
- The world’s financial systems are becoming increasingly unable to meet the demands of consumers and businesses. It is predicted that new players in the FinTech sector will soon capture over one-third of the legacy banks' revenue. The pace at which technology accelerates makes the banking sector adapt to and evolve its methods and regulations. With digitization, software integrations, and technology breakthroughs, the future of financial services holds amazing opportunities.
- Augmented and Virtual Reality
- The wave of virtual and augmented reality has been rising. There are numerous AR/VR devices on the market, including headsets, tablets, smartphones, wearables, and consoles where applications range across diverse sectors from small mobile games to high-end military applications.
- Enterprise Software
- Category-defining enterprise software companies will emerge to solve problems for every vertical, every business size, and every job function. Solutions for the challenges faced by organizations like businesses, schools, interest-based user groups, clubs, charities, and governments not just have a huge market, but also a great potential to make a difference.
- Blockchain and Distributed Economy
- The opportunity for blockchain to solve economic challenges is tremendous. The peer-to-peer platform for identity, trust, and financial transactions will help us reconfigure the notion of large corporations and redistribute prosperity among those with good ideas and perseverance. A distributed economy opens the doors for all entities within the network regardless of size or location, to innovation and growth.
- Open Innovation
- Open-ended theme where the only restriction is your imagination. Build the ideas that you believe in and make a difference.
- Idea phase launch - 8th March 2019
- Idea phase ends - 15th April 2019
- Prototype phase launch - 20th April 2019
- Prototype phase end - 20th May 2019
- Winner Announcement - 1st June 2019
- First Prize - $7000
- First Runner Up - $5000
- Second Runner Up - $3000
- Best UI Design - $500
- Best Idea - $500
- Best Solo Project - $500
- Best Pitch - $500
Women are a highly underrated group in the STEM field. With only 20% of tech jobs being held by women, it is high time to bring about a change. Stereotypes, bias, lack of mentors, and the overall gender inequality are some of the major factors that hold women back from pursuing their interests and realizing their potential.
The International Women's Hackathon 2019 supports the UN's theme for International Women's Day - "Think equal, build smart, innovate for change," and promotes women developers around the globe. With that spirit, HackerEarth launches the IWH 2019 on the International Women's Day and invites women innovators, developers, creators, designers, and hackathon enthusiasts to showcase their projects to the world and take them to the next level.