Episode 74: Jill Hauwiller on Knowing When it’s Time for a Career Change
Wondering if it’s time for a career change?
Is your job dissatisfaction short-term, or are you really, truly “stuck?” Maybe you know it’s time for a change, but you’re not sure how to make that happen. In this Diverse podcast episode, FY20 SWE President Cindy Hoover speaks with Jill Hauwiller, Founder of and Principal Consultant at Leadership Refinery, and a Forbes Coaches Council Member. For nearly 20 years, Jill has been helping individuals and organizations reach their full potential, working in various Talent Management, Organizational Development, and Human Resources roles for Fortune 500 corporations. In every environment, she is able to assess and develop talent, work globally, and leave a lasting impact on her clients and teams. Today, she’s here to help you gain some insight on examining your career path and knowing when—and how—to make a move.
“You’re not alone, you’re never alone…many have traveled this path before you. And, more often than not, almost every person that I interact with is looking for a way to give back. So it’s ok to ask for help, in fact, I think the people that are clear on what they want and are clear on the help that they ask for are the ones who make these transitions as smooth as possible. So, do the work on yourself; ask yourself what it is that you’re really looking for. Work on articulating your interests and your capabilities. Doing that work—while hard—does build confidence, and that confidence is what helps people through that transition process.”
– Jill Hauwiller, Founder of the Leadership Refinery
Check out more SWE podcasts:
- Episode 73: The Future of the Engineering Workforce with Sarah Watzman
- Episode 72: Kim Varga on Using Disruption to Advance Your Career
- Episode 71: WE19 Keynote and Disney Engineer, Rachel Hutter
- Episodes 69 & 70: One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Woman Engineering Kind
- Episode 68: From Serbia to U.S. Academia, NYU Tandon’s First Female Dean
- Episode 67: Penny Passes the Torch to New President Cindy Hoover
- Episode 66: “The Change Starts with Me” — An Aerospace Engineer with Dreams of Greater D&I
- Episode 65: Dean Ropella on Changing the Face of Engineering
- Episode 64: The Experience of Being an Asian American Female Engineer
Browse through all of our SWE podcasts on SWE’s SoundCloud.