Episode 73: The Future of the Engineering Workforce with Sarah Watzman
Wondering what the future of the engineering industry looks like?
In this Diverse podcast episode sponsored by the University of Cincinnati Online, FY20 SWE President Cindy Hoover explores that topic with Sarah Watzman, PhD, Assistant Professor at the University of Cincinnati. Sarah has taught undergraduate heat transfer and is currently teaching graduate-level advanced thermodynamics in her department, and she is a DOE Early Career Award recipient. She completed her PhD in mechanical engineering in May of 2018, and during grad school was a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow and worked as a visiting researcher at the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids in Dresden, Germany.
Hear from Sarah what kind of changes we can expect in the engineering industry—including a shift in demographics, the role of artificial intelligence, and changing classroom dynamics.
“My one piece of advice to current and future engineering would be: Ask lots of questions. Engineering is a super broad field, and there’s a large chance that you can find a job out there that also fits your passions, and if you do that you’re also going to be more dedicated and more successful … Try to find and figure out what interests you and gets you excited to do more, and start asking how you can apply that to your career.”
– Sarah Watzman, University of Cincinnati
Learn more about the Master of Engineering programs offered by the University of Cincinnati Online.
Check out more SWE podcasts:
- Episode 72: Kim Varga on Using Disruption to Advance Your Career
- Episode 71: WE19 Keynote and Disney Engineer, Rachel Hutter
- Episodes 69 & 70: One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Woman Engineering Kind
- Episode 68: From Serbia to U.S. Academia, NYU Tandon’s First Female Dean
- Episode 67: Penny Passes the Torch to New President Cindy Hoover
- Episode 66: “The Change Starts with Me” — An Aerospace Engineer with Dreams of Greater D&I
- Episode 65: Dean Ropella on Changing the Face of Engineering
- Episode 64: The Experience of Being an Asian American Female Engineer
Browse through all of our SWE podcasts on SWE’s SoundCloud.