“WE Local Collegiate Competition Continues Virtually” is written by Jonna Gerken, WE Local Collegiate Competition Subcommittee Lead.
With the postponement of the WE Local Buffalo and Des Moines conferences due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the finalists for those competitions would no longer have that chance to showcase their accomplishments – or would they? The WE Local Advisory Board felt strongly that these amazing women should still be able to compete and quickly devised a way to make it happen. A little extra planning, some modern technology, and several old-fashioned phone calls resulted in the first-ever WE Local Virtual Collegiate Competition on Saturday, March 28th. Finalists and judges joined a live web meeting to see and hear the presentations from each person. Posters were provided in an electronic format for the judges to score. Scores were then submitted to the competition’s Subcommittee and voila! The competition was completed successfully and efficiently with everyone involved having a great time.
We are pleased to announce the following collegiate competition award finalists for WE Local Buffalo:
- First place: Rebekah Forshey, Messiah College
- Second place: Kay Laura Sindabizera, Messiah College
- Third place: Olivia Wanless, Kettering University
- Fourth place: Makini Valentine, New York City College of Technology
- First place: Erin Evke, University of Michigan
- Second place: Ogochukwu Enekwizu, New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Third place: Kara DiNatale, Kansas State University
- Fourth place: Gabriella Marie, University of Kentucky
- Fifth place: Chinasa Okolo, Cornell University
Congratulations to all the finalists!
Many thanks to the entire WE Local Advisory Board as well as the Collegiate Competition Subcommittee for making the swift decision to host the event virtually. Special thanks to Devyn Yates, Nikita Tiwari and Mackenzie Morgan (SWE headquarters staff) for working through the details and ensuring the technology worked.
Results from the WE Local Des Moines collegiate competition will be posted at the beginning of May.