The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Affinity Groups (AGs) are communities of individuals who share the same interests and goals. These groups help build community, provide professional development opportunities, and empower and celebrate women from different paths of life. SWE has eleven Affinity Groups that fall under two categories:
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
SWE’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Affinity Groups were formed to align with protected classes under the US Federal anti-discrimination law. These Affinity Groups focus on the professional needs of social minority populations and support programs tailored to serve these communities.
SWE’s Business Interests Affinity Groups are communities focused on social and networking opportunities around common interests. The focus of these Affinity Groups are generally centered around the members’ business environment and experiences.
Call for New SWE Affinity Groups
Beginning March 8th, 2021, you can submit an application to formally launch a new SWE Affinity Group. AG leaders are available year-round to help SWE members develop their ideas for the launch of a new AG. To prepare for application and launch of a new AG, groups should identify their leadership, goals and mission (aligned with SWE and Affinity Groups) and have critical mass and strong interest for long-term sustainability of the group. The first year of the new Affinity Group will be used to onboard the leadership, build the community, and further define the mission and goals.
Application information for proposing a new SWE Affinity Group includes:
- A description of the group’s membership
- A potential number of interested SWE members to join the Affinity Group
- Identification of a minimum of ten SWE members interested in participating in the new Affinity Group
- Reason for requesting the Affinity Group
- Identification of type of Affinity Group (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion or Business Interest)
- Description of how the proposed Affinity Group promotes the SWE Core Values
- A proposal for lead(s)/champion(s)/sponsor(s) for the first year
The application form and selection rubric details can be obtained from the Affinity Group Co-Leads, Ivelisse Del Valle Figueroa and Geetha Arun, at email@example.com.
The call for applications opens March 8th, 2021. Completed applications must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 9th, 2021 at 5:00 pm CST.
The Affinity Group applications will be reviewed by the Affinity Group Co-Leads and SWE Board of Directors representative using the approved process. Selected new Affinity Groups will then be submitted for approval by the SWE Board of Directors, followed by the AG formation in approximately June 2021. Any questions regarding the Affinity Groups or the creation of new Affinity Groups can be directed to email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest and continued support of the Affinity Groups!
- SWE Community Spotlight: African-American Affinity Group
- Please Join SWE in Welcoming the New HeForSWE Affinity Group!
- What Is New With SWE Affinity Groups?