2020 was a year like no other. And while it shouldn’t have taken numerous tragedies to bring us to the point we’re at today, the racial injustices we witnessed did have a positive impact on diversity and inclusion efforts. The importance of continuing to learn about others has been brought into focus and to the forefront of our minds, relationships and careers.
More than ever before, we need to not only acknowledge the existing (unconscious) biases present in our beliefs, systems and practices; we must also—through education and actions—make real progress on building and nurturing inclusive environments.
“Unity, not uniformity, must be our aim. We attain unity only through variety. Differences must be integrated, not annihilated, not absorbed.”
~Mary Parker Follett
Many organizations are often afraid to talk about race, gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation because they do not have the skills needed to successfully communicate or start a conversation about workplace diversity in a multicultural environment. We’re here to help with that.
SWE has DEI tools that will not only help you alleviate the anxiety around having these difficult or uncomfortable conversations, but will also lead to real and positive results within your team and organization.
Inclusion Solutions Card Deck
Discussing a diverse culture is in the cards! Promote an inclusive workplace through meaningful conversation with SWE’s Inclusion Solutions cards. The deck contains 22 knowledge cards, each covering a research-supported D&I topic followed with thought-provoking questions. The cards can be used for conversation starters, one-on-one coaching, self-reflection, or larger group discussions to create awareness and opportunities for personal and organizational growth. We currently have two versions: one for the U.S. and one for Asia.
SWE now also offers enterprise access to the electronic version of the Inclusion Solutions Card Deck to share with your entire organization. Learn more and purchase enterprise access now.
Inclusion Solutions Facilitator Guides & Participant Workbooks
SWE’s facilitator guides provide instructions for activities to help teams engage in dialogue and reflect on concepts relating to managing bias. The participant workbooks are to be used in tandem with the guide for additional notes on each activity and space to write and create a personal connection to the content.
- To solve a problem, we must first recognize that a problem exists. SWE’s Uncovering Bias Facilitator Guide & Workbook bundle is designed to help you discover and reflect on existing D&I issues in your workplace.
- Create an actionable plan based on what you’ve learned about D&I in your workplace. SWE’s Developing Cultural Competency Facilitator Guide & Workbook bundle provides the tools you need to truly build and promote a diverse and inclusive workforce.
To learn more and purchase these products, visit https://swe.org/learning/diproducts/.
- SWE Condemns Violence Against the AAPI Community
- Living and Working as an Engineer With Adult Onset Disability
- Podcast: Louvere Walker-Hannon on Getting More Black Women Involved in STEM
- Words of Wisdom for the Next Generation of Black Engineers
- President’s Note: Keeping Diversity Top of Mind
- How to Be an Ally Outside of Hispanic Heritage Month