International Women in Engineering Day is June 23, 2021! The purpose of this day is to bring awareness and recognition to the outstanding contributions of women engineers and the challenges they have faced. Continue reading for a breakdown of how you can honor this special day!
Encourage Girls in Engineering Careers
Advancing the status of women in engineering will require securing a solid pipeline of future women engineers. Encouraging girls to pursue engineering has to begin at an early age, as research shows that girls start to lose interest in math and science by middle school. What are some things you can do to celebrate International Women in Engineering Day by encouraging girls to pursue engineering?
- Organize an outreach event for elementary or middle school girls with your SWENext club. Show them that engineering is exciting and fun! This can be achieved through engaging problem-solving activities and introducing them to some of the exciting real-world work that engineers do.
- Share your interest in engineering with your younger siblings, neighbors, or friends! Let them know what got you interested in engineering and what they can do to explore their interest in STEM. Be a role model for these young girls!
Celebrate Women Engineers
- Use this special day to learn more about the amazing accomplishments of women engineers throughout history. Oftentimes the contributions of women engineers, particularly further back in history, are overlooked. It’s important to know the individuals who paved the way for us.
- Do you have an engineering role model? Write them a thank you card or share with them the impact that they’ve had on you. Knowing that they’re making a difference can help motivate them to inspire more girls.
Support Women to Achieve Their Potential
- We succeed by supporting each other! Engineering is all about collaboration, and it’s essential that women engineers work together to support each other and help make the field more inclusive. Grow your network of other girls interested in engineering and figure out how you can best support one another.
- Learn about the barriers that women in engineering face and how you can identify and potentially advocate for them. These barriers may include higher rates of imposter syndrome, a lack of role models, and traditional gender norms when it comes to careers.
There are dozens of ways to celebrate International Women in Engineering Day! How will you celebrate?