STEP 1: PREPARE TO SPEAK FOR A HYBRID WE22 CONFERENCE
SWE will once again host a hybrid conference for WE22. The call for participation process has been updated to ensure that both in-person attendees in Houston and our virtual attendees receive quality programming.
The key changes include:
- All accepted sessions will be required to be in Houston to present sessions to in-person attendees.
- All accepted sessions are required to submit a recording of their session by September 7, 2022. This will allow all virtual attendees and in-person attendees access to all of the content via the platform.
STEP 2: USE THE AVAILABLE WE22 CFP RESOURCES
The best way to increase your proposal score is to carefully follow the WE22 Call for Participation Guidelines and the WE22 Call for Participation Guidelines – Overview course that identifies best practices for submitting each question and the available points.
STEP 3: PICK A TOPIC THAT ILLUSTRATES YOUR UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE
SWE receives over 1,000 proposals each year, so it is common to receive multiple proposals on the same topic. Be sure to share unique perspectives on hot topics to make your submission stand out.
- If your session qualifies to be accepted, and there are similar sessions that also qualify to be accepted, you may be asked to merge your sessions with another like session or risk the chance of not being accepted.
STEP 4: WRITE A QUALITY SESSION DESCRIPTION THAT MATCHES YOUR SESSION CONTENT
Taking the time to write a quality session description is a critical step to getting your session accepted. If accepted, the submitted description will be posted to the WE22 schedule and app, so it is likely the first thing attendees will see when deciding to attend your session or not. Also, a catchy title also helps.
- The number one complaint is that sessions do not match the submitted description and learning outcomes.
- As a result, take the time to finalize your session content before the CFP closes. Not doing so may impact your chances of speaking at future conferences.
STEP 5: SECURE SPEAKERS FOR YOUR SESSION THAT HAVE THE RELEVANT EXPERIENCE.
All Speakers need to be secured before the CFP closes on March 14 because speakers are evaluated during the CFP reviews.
- Be sure the speaker bio reflects why you are the best person to speak on your session’s topic.
STEP 6: SELECT A TRACK THAT MOST CLOSELY RELATES TO YOUR TOPIC
WE22 has six tracks. Read the track descriptions to determine which track most closely aligns with your session.
WE22 also offers ten specialized areas of focus; content intended for specific audiences.
- Select an area of focus if the content is specific only to the identified audience; otherwise, select not applicable.
STEP 7: SELECT THE SESSION LEARNING LEVEL
There are three learning levels: foundational, intermediate, and advanced. Select the level based on experience with the session content.
- SWE is actively looking for intermediate and advanced level sessions.
STEP 8: SELECT THE BEST SESSION FORMAT
Think of yourself as the learner and what content can be learned based on the timeframe of your session.
To support the hybrid conference, speakers are required to submit a recording of each session in addition to the in-person sessions. Below are the session formats and time requirements for each session.
|LISTEN & LEARN LECTURE: (limited to 2 speakers): The standard conference session type where subject-matter-experts present content to attendees with minimal, if any, group discussions.
|Recording: A 30 min. recording is required to be submitted by 09/07/22.
In-Person Session: 45 min. total (30 min. lecture and 15 min. Q&A)
|ENGAGED EXCHANGE: (Limited to 4 speakers plus one moderator): Panel discussions designed to provide opportunities to learn from multiple subject-matter-experts on their experiences and views on identified topics.
| Recording: A 45 min. recording is required to be submitted by 09/07/22.
In-Person Session: 60 min. total with a 45 min. discussion and 15 min. Q&A
|SNAP SESSION: (Limited to 2 speakers): Short, thought-provoking sessions. SWE schedules 3-6 snap sessions in a row, arranged according to themes.
|Recording: A 15 min. recording is required to be submitted by 09/07/22.
In-Person Session: 15 min. plus 5 min. of Q&A.
STEP 9: SUBMIT YOUR FINAL PROPOSAL BEFORE 11:59 ET MARCH 21, 2022
Submit your proposal free of errors and with speakers finalized and in the system before the CFP closes.
- Changes cannot be made to your proposal after the deadline.
- If sessions are accepted to WE22, it is your submitted session content that will be displayed in the WE22 conference calendar and WE22 app.
STEP 10: BE AWARE OF THE WE22 CFP TIMELINE
The WE22 CFP timeline is included below to help you see future milestones and speaker responsibilities.