While one presentation, or one conversation, cannot capture all SWE does in this space, we want to focus on the member-facing DEI&B work that we are engaged with and will commit ourselves to over this next year.
Watch the State of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging at SWE – 2022 Presentation:
SWE’s mission is to empower women to achieve their full potential in careers as engineers and leaders; expand the image of the engineering and technology professions as a positive force in improving the quality of life and demonstrate the value of diversity and inclusion.
It is vital that our leaders represent our membership and that our membership reflects the wider diversity of the engineering profession. Equally important is for us to work, as a Society, to advocate for greater diversity within the engineering profession. Full inclusion for engineers from all backgrounds in the profession is needed and especially for those who are from backgrounds underrepresented within the engineering profession.
SWE cannot accomplish its mission without ensuring the organization has a strong commitment to DEI&B (diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging) and that we are working to better understand how we can grow, learn, and continually improve our efforts to equitably support those of all backgrounds to fulfill our mission.
Regardless of our work, two things are true:
- SWE is committed to doing DEI&B work
- If our members do not have a strong sense of belonging in SWE, then our work is fruitless.
First and foremost, our plan prioritizes learning, understanding, and responding to these sense of belonging within the SWE community. We are doing three things:
- Asking about each person’s sense of belonging in membership and at our major events. Looking at and learning from this data.
- Placing the term belonging in our strategic plan and writing and executing operational plans to support what belonging means in SWE.
- Conducting a culture study across the whole of SWE’s membership, in conjunction with our member survey, that looks at SWE’s culture and how it aligns with the values of our members.
Have questions? Submit your feedback here.
Please provide any feedback, questions, concerns, or thoughts here regarding the State of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging at SWE – 2022 Presentation by October 15, 2022. SWE will post questions/comments and answers to as many questions as possible by early November, 2022.