In this Diverse podcast episode, SWE President Penny Wirsing (FY19) speaks with Kerri Phillips, a senior engineer at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory and a visiting professor for the Johns Hopkins Whiting School of Engineering. Kerri, who holds a PhD in aerospace engineering, speaks about her TEDxWomen talk she gave to high school students interested in pursuing STEM careers. The TED talk, “Don’t Let the Brushback Pitch Take You Out of the Game,” encourages young girls to follow their passions, even in the face of obstacles.
“I wanted to give the talk that I so desperately needed to hear when I was in high school. I needed to hear successful women stand up and talk about the obstacles they faced and the failures they grew from. I wanted to have an authentic conversation about those obstacles and the “fall-flat-on-my-face” moments that I didn’t let hold me back.”
– Dr. Kerri Phillips
Download and listen to the podcast, and make sure to check out Kerri Phillips’ TEDxWomen talk!
Check out more SWE podcasts:
- Podcast: Elizabeth Loboa, Mizzou’s First Female Dean of Engineering
- Podcast: Meet eXXec 2019 Speaker, Rose Hollister
- Podcast: PepsiCo Chemical Engineer Crea Kitcher
- SWE Stories – Tales from the Archives Podcast: Breaking Boundaries Part One
- SWE Stories – Tales from the Archives Podcast: The Trouble with Celebrating Firsts