What is the purpose of this survey?
The Gender Scan survey is an international survey on women in STEM led by the organization Global Contact in partnership with international organizations, including the Society of Women Engineers. The survey seeks to understand the current status of women in STEM at various stages, from adolescence (pre-college) to the workforce. The survey will assess the impact of gender balance policies in the STEM workforce as well as report trends of female participation along the STEM pipeline. Given the potential global impact of this effort, SWE invites you to participate in the survey.
Why should I participate?
While the Gender Scan survey is spearheaded by Global Contact, an organization based in France, the survey results are expected to contribute new knowledge to move us forward in achieving gender equity in STEM globally. For instance, previously in the 2019 survey, over 15,000 respondents from across 79 organizations participated in the survey. The results from the 2019 survey showed that gender-balanced teams, as opposed to non-gender-balanced teams, in science and technology fields were associated with better team performance and employee well-being (Global Contact, 2019). The current survey will focus on topics such as remote work and work-life balance, sexism, education, and training in STEM. Therefore, your participation in the Gender Scan survey is a unique opportunity to assess the current climate on gender equity in STEM while also elevating the voices of women across the STEM pipeline.
Who is eligible?
SWE is excited to collaborate in this international survey as one of many organizations partnering with Global Contact. Still, the Gender Scan survey is not exclusive to SWE members, and therefore, we are inviting all STEM college students and STEM employees, regardless if they are a SWE member, to participate in the 2021 Gender Scan survey. Participants of any gender can take the survey; however, they must be over the age of 18. STEM college and university students include those studying STEM, either enrolled in a STEM major or considering a STEM major or career.
How do I take the survey?
While SWE membership is not a requirement to participate in the 2021 Gender Scan survey, we would appreciate it if interested participants list the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) as the partner of Gender Scan who suggested and invited you to participate. Overall, the survey is estimated to take approximately 10 minutes to complete. While the core survey on gender balance in STEM education and workforce is short, participants are encouraged to also complete sections on specific topics including, remote work and work-life balance and sexism at work. The survey will remain open for the next three months until the end of July 2021.
STEM college students:
- Use this link (or type https://students.genderscan.org/?lg=2 into your web browser) and select your preferred language. You will be prompted to select a partner from a drop-down menu list.
- Please select Society of Women Engineers (see Figure 1) for the question “Are you answering to this survey following the suggestion of a partner of Gender Scan?”
- Use this link (or type https://global.genderscan.org/?lg=2 into your web browser) and select your preferred language.
- Specify the country and type of community (urban, suburban, or rural) where you live.
- You will then be prompted to select a partner from a drop-down menu list. Please select Society of Women Engineers (see Figure 2) for the question “Are you answering to this survey following the suggestion of a partner of Gender Scan?”