We need everyone to help reduce pollution in our world. We need efforts from students like you as well as large companies.
You can challenge today’s pollution problems by:
- reducing your use of water by turning off the faucet while you brush your teeth and taking shorter showers
- conserving energy by turning off the light in a room you are not using
- starting a garden to grow plants that will make the bees happy
- using reusable containers, bags, and silverware instead of single-use plastics
- minimizing food waste by only buying what you need and composting the scraps
- taking public transportation or carpooling with trusted friends and family when you can
- doing things that help the wildlife near you, like making a bird feeder
- collecting litter when you see it in a place it doesn’t belong, like a camp site or park
Large companies can challenge today’s pollution problems by:
- shifting to renewable energy like wind power and solar power
- driving fuel efficient cars or even electric cars
- recycling so we can cut down fewer trees for paper products
- using biodegradable materials for plastics and recycling plastics
- putting in safety practices to make sure runoff does not poison clean water sources
- reducing our usage of water and other precious resources
- planting trees and picking up litter
- changing our approach to farming by growing plants vertically, so less space is used while more produce can be grown
- cutting back on how much meat we eat by exploring different sources of protein
As the years go by, the technology that makes these things possible only gets better and more reliable, and that’s not possible without scientists and engineers!
Kid inventors have also come up with some really cool ideas to help fight climate change. Do you have any ideas for an invention that can help the planet?
A lot of these problems might seem hard to tackle, but even YOU can make a difference.
- April is National Volunteer Month!
- Women Engineers Work to Restore the Soil, Water, and Skies
- What Is Environmental Engineering?