On March 22-23, 2023, the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) will host a Congressional Outreach Event for paid FY23 SWE members to engage with United States elected officials and their staff in Washington, DC. This event will be held in-person and is limited to 150 participants on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no virtual option to participate in the Spring 2023 Congressional Outreach Days. Interaction with elected officials at the United States Capitol and surrounding buildings is subject to congressionally mandated health and safety guidelines.
- Who Can Attend: This event is only open to FY23 SWE members located in the United States. (FY23 members are those whose memberships are active from 7/1/22 – 6/30/23.) If you are not a paid member or not located in the United States, you will not be able to register. If your job prevents you from engaging with elected officials around public policy issues, we recommend you do not register for this event.
- Pre-event: SWE will host an optional, live-training and informational session prior to the event on March 7 at 5:00 PM PT / 6:00 PM MT / 7:00 PM CT / 8:00 PM ET. Information for this session will be provided after registration. Registrants from the same states will have the option to meet to plan their meetings and roles during this session. The training portion will be recorded for those unable to attend. Participation in this pre-event is highly encouraged to meet others from your state in advance of the in-person events.
- Onsite Schedule: SWE will provide training on March 22 in-person in Washington, DC. SWE will work to arrange up to three visits with your elected officials on March 23. The schedule is always subject to change due to the rapidly evolving landscape of the United States Congress. A preliminary schedule will be sent to registrants by March 17, but could change up to the day of the visits. Specific scheduling requests cannot be accommodated.
- What is Included: SWE will provide lunch on March 22, a light reception on the evening of March 22, and breakfast on March 23. All other meals, travel expenses, lodging, and incidentals are at the attendees’ expense.
- Sharing of Data: By registering for this event you agree to share your name, email, and state with other event participants so state-level coordination can occur.
How to Register
- Log into the Member Portal
- Click ‘Events’
- Click ‘SWE Congressional Outreach Day’
OR: email email@example.com
SWE Public Policy in Action
Read these blog posts about our recent advocacy efforts.
- SWE Joins With SHPE, AISES, and NSBE in Advocating for STEM Funding to U.S. House & Senate
- SWE Weighs in on Proposed Title IX Guidance
- SWE Weighs in with Lawmakers on Competitiveness Legislation
- US Senate Women in STEM Caucus Highlights Issues Facing Females in the STEM Workforce
- SWE Members Adapt Like Engineers for Capitol Hill Day 2021