Episode 23: Un Cafecito With a Woman in STEM: Sandra Cauffman
“Un Cafecito with a Woman in STEM” is a sub-series of SWE’s Diverse podcast. In this Diverse episode, Marissa Doyen, Hispanic Heritage Month Lead within SWE’s Latinos Affinity Group, speaks with Sandra Cauffman, the Deputy Director of Earth Science Division in the Science Mission Directorate at NASA. They discuss what she has accomplished as a Latina in a white, male dominated field as well as the challenges — and opportunities — for women in science.
Sandra Cauffman is the Deputy Director of Earth Science Division in the Science Mission Directorate at NASA. Previously she’s worked on exciting projects such as, MAVEN, GOES-R, SMEX GEMS and many others during her 30 year career at NASA. After studying for a time at the University of Costa Rica, she earned Bachelors’ in Physics and Engineering, and a Master’s in Electrical Engineering, all from George Mason University. Sandra has been honored with the NASA Exceptional Achievement Medal, is a two time recipient of the NASA Exceptional Leadership Medal, and is a four time recipient of the NASA Acquisition Improvement Award. Sandra is also a Senior Fellow on the Council for Excellence in Government. Additionally, as appreciation for her achievements in STEM and her outreach efforts in Costa Rica and other parts of Latin America, the Costa Rican government issued a stamp in her honor in 2017.
Check out more SWE podcasts:
- Un Cafecito With a Woman in STEM: Bea Mendez Gandica
- Exploring the Perspective of Global Members Living and Working in the US
- How R&D Supports Inclusivity, Growth, and Opportunity for Women Engineers
- Un Cafecito With a Woman in STEM: Melanie Weber
- Combining Engineering and Research at the Air Force Research Laboratory
- Susan Uthayakumar on Challenging the Status Quo to Forge Your Own Career Path
- APAHM 2021 – SASE CEO Khánh Vu on Allyship for the AAPI Community
- Smita Tharoor on Addressing Unconscious Bias in Our Professional and Personal Lives