About Markita Riley:
Markita Riley is the Student Programs Coordinator for the Society of Women Engineers (SWE). Markita is passionate about people being the best versions of themselves with no limits to who they can be or what they can do. This passion has led Markita to opportunities in her career from being a Resident Director for Radford University Residence Life to serving as an Executive Assistant and Communications Specialist for her home church Apostolic Church of God (ACOG). Markita holds an MS in Corporate and Professional Communications from Radford University, a BS in Criminal Justice and a BS in Sociology from Ball State University. Even if it is as small as smiling when greeting someone, Markita believes every impact you make helps to change the world! This is why she loves to work with our SWE members to ensure the highest quality programs, content and resources are provided to shape our future leaders of SWE. Markita is excited to be a part of a team that believes in growing and developing the next generations of women engineers and STEM professionals.
Where are you from/where were you raised?
God made me and parents raised me in the south suburbs of Chicago.
What is your favorite sports team?
Funny story, I don’t have one…the end! Weird fact, I always win my brackets even though I barely watch sports!
If you were an animal, what would you be?
I’m a Leo, so I think I would be a lioness.
Which meal is your favorite: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
Breakfast is my favorite meal! I literally can eat it any time of day…This goes for coffee too!
What is your go-to karaoke song?
It will likely be 90s R&B and Soul, but honestly, just give me the mic, I’ll handle it from there! LOL
What’s one food item you can’t resist?
Cupcakes…cake period really except chocolate.
If you could eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
If it didn’t eventually become a health concern…pizza!
What is your greatest fear?
Being “normal” or “ordinary”. I worked so hard to embrace my uniqueness and I finally know that I was made to stand out. Well, that and heights!
What is the best piece of advice you’ve received?
The higher up you go, the more authentic you should be.
Do you have any interesting or little-known facts about yourself?
I am a huge sci-fi/fantasy fan! Watched every Marvel movie and I’ve managed to watch all the seasons of Buffy and Supernatural. I’ve been on tv a couple of times…not for a crime though! LOL I would like to learn how to DJ. I LOVE music, any genre as long as it’s good.
What music gets you on the dance floor?
Afrobeats or old school classics
What chore do you absolutely hate doing?
For someone who loves to buy clothes, I hate laundry!
What is your favorite thing about your job?
Motivating and inspiring young girls and their families to take the limits off what they can do and step outside of their comfort zone. Every little girl I interact with, I have the opportunity to build confidence and self-esteem. From that interaction, I can make sure they know how much they matter, and one day, I know that the world will feel their impact!
More SWE Staff Spotlights:
- SWE Staff Spotlight: Kristina Davison
- SWE Staff Spotlight: Rachel Jessen
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Tori Grove.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Sergio Camargo.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Sohn Cook.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Esraa Aburass.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Trenyce McCoy.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Anne Perusek.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Emily Burnett.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Jennifer Scott.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Dolores Mannella.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Vanessa Velasco.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Rosalie Kapanga.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Monica Cutrone.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Carol Polakowski.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Sinead Gaffney.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Camryn Wagner.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Trish Kolar.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Angelica Beresheim.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Honna Eichler George.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Briana Aviles.
- Read our SWE Staff Spotlight on Valerie Bland.