Deadline to submit nominations to SWE is March 1, 2018
Are you a strategic thinker? Interested in charting the strategic direction of SWE? Nominate yourself or someone else for International Senator.
The International Senator is a member of SWE’s Senate and is responsible for:
- Charting the strategic direction of SWE by developing and adopting long-range goals for the Society.
- Developing and/or adopting proposed changes to the Society bylaws, policies, and procedures that are in line with the strategic plan.
- Conducting essential dialogue with Society membership on long-term trends and issues of common interest.
In accordance with the adoption of S-1803 "Senate and Regions" Proposal to Amend Bylaws, SWE's International Members must elect an International Senator to serve for a three-year term commencing on July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2021 (FY19 – FY21).
The deadline for submitting nominations is March 1, 2018 to SWE Headquarters and requires the following:
- Candidate statement as a .doc, .docx or .txt file, maximum of 400 words. Include your name as you want it displayed on the slate.
- Photo in gif or .jpg format, at least 300 dpi. The maximum file size is 1MB.
Please be aware of the following responsibilities and time commitments before applying for the position:
- Senators must be voting members of the Society (except special Senators) and will serve for a term of three (3) fiscal years.
- Senators should anticipate participating in a lot of virtual meetings and communications.
- The role typically requires the following time commitments:
- Monthly conference calls – 1 hour each
- Participation in 1 sub-team
- Annual Strategic Planning (2 mandatory face-to-face meetings, calls 1-5 hours per month)
- Strategic initiatives (Variable)
- Committees' strategic planning (Variable)
- Communications (Variable)
- Face-to-face Senate meetings – At least 2 per fiscal year
- Annual Conference (Fall; 3 days – mandatory)
- Winter Senate meeting (Winter; 1 day – mandatory)
- WE Local (Spring; 1 day – currently not required, but highly recommended)
- Offline discussions on bylaws amendments and motions (Variable)
- Active communication with Society membership
- Funding for travel is currently available through SWE for the Winter Senate meeting and annual strategic planning sub-team face-to-face meetings. Future funding will be determined.
- These roles and responsibilities are subject to change by the Senate leadership team as the governance changes continue to be implemented.
Nominees should possess the five SWE leadership competencies:
- Self-Management and Development
- Business Acumen
- Coaching, Mentorship and Sponsorship
- Leadership Abilities
Contact Kate Hull, Speaker of the Senate, to learn more about the role.