The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) and IBM jointly are conducting a workshop and discussion on diversity and inclusion in China. The event will be hosted at IBM in Shanghai, China on Thursday, January 18, 2018. Over the last five years, SWE has developed and is in the process of executing a strategy that expands its reach beyond the borders of the US with a focus on learning more about the challenges and opportunities for change as it relates to SWE’s mission within various regions of the world. Through corporate partnerships, SWE has been able to further hone its strategic focus.
During this workshop, SWE staff will provide an overview of the current global strategy while also spending some time looking closely at the collective perspective of those in attendance on the advancement of women in engineering and technology. The dialogue and insights from this workshop will serve as the grist for design of future SWE events and activities within China.
SWE is a network of more than 40,000 women working or studying in the various disciplines in the field of engineering and technology. Founded in 1950, SWE has supported women to aspire, advance and achieve in their careers as engineers and technologists.
Objectives for the meeting:
- Describe SWE’s global strategy and path forward
- Identifying successes and areas for growth
- Recognize global initiatives and events
- Visualize and discuss future areas where SWE can be of greater service to women working in engineering and technology within Asia.
A working agenda is as follows:
- 8:30 to 9:00am - Check in and networking coffee/tea
- 9:00 to 9:15am - Welcome Remarks from IBM
- 9:15 to 10:00am - Overview of SWE
- 10:00 to 10:30am - Break
- 10:30 to 11:50am - Workshop and Roundtable Discussion
- 11:50 to 12 noon - Closing
- 12 noon - Networking Lunch
SWE specifically encourages those in positions of manager and above who work in human resources, recruiting, diversity and inclusion, education and training departments as well as engineers that are in a hiring role or a department lead to participate at this event.
This presentation will take place in English and lunch will be provided. Seating is limited and on a first come first serve basis. We recommend a maximum of two representatives per company.
Date: Thursday, January 18th, 2018
Location: Conference Room 7B-20/21, Building 10, No. 399 Keyuan Road, Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park, Pudong New District Shanghai 201203
Registration: Please register by Monday, January 15, 2018