SWENext will be hosting the SWENext DesignLab at WE Local 2020 in Buffalo.
A component of DesignLab is the Community Engagement Challenge. The challenge asks teams of high school students to create a hands-on engineering activity for younger students that will help resolve a local issue. Teams who enter the challenge will gain experience with STEM outreach, project implementation and leadership.
The teams will present their proposal to a panel of women engineers at DesignLab for a chance to win $1,000 to implement their project and an all-expense paid trip to SWE’s annual conference, WE20, in New Orleans, Louisiana.
One of the greatest features of this program is the opportunity for girls to have long-term engagement with professional female engineers! This is where you come in. Teams will solve community issues using engineering and design solutions with women engineers in their community.
Serve as a DesignLab Challenge Mentor
- As a mentor, you will help serve to guide the team as they develop their activity to help the team incorporate accurate engineering insights for their participants. *It is required to meet with the team virtually or in person at least twice prior to their Design Outline Presentation submission, and you must attend the WE Local the team will be presenting at.* We will provide free WE Local registration for you.
- Read full outline of responsibility HERE.
DesignLab Challenge Timeline
- Entry Form: January 12, 2020
- SWE Challenge Mentor Assignments
- Confirmation Form: January 26, 2020
- Design Outline Presentation Submission: March 8, 2020
- WE Local/DesignLab Presentation Date: March 28, 2020
Make sure to check out the DesignLab Challenge submissions from 2019! You can watch the videos HERE.